Changes to TX Ag Exemption System

Beginning in 2012 individuals and businesses claiming an exemption an agricultural and timber purchases must provide a registration # provided by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Who is eligible to register?

A person (person is generic this includes individuals and businesses) including a non-Texas resident, engaged in the production of agricultural or timber products for sale in the regular course of business is eligible for a registration.

Should I register?

If you make agricultural purchases that are eligible for the exemption and you are an eligible person you should register, otherwise you'll have to pay the sales tax when you purchase your agricultural items. If you're wondering what are eligible agricultural purchases here's a link to qualifying and non qualifying items: Exempt and Non Exempt Products

How do I register?

You can apply online via this page: Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Number Online Application . If you prefer to apply by paper you can click on the following link and complete and print a paper application: Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Number Application.

What do I need to register?

You'll need the basic information such as knowing your business entity (sole proprietorship, llc, partnership, corporation etc), name, mailing address, street address, owner social security #, business federal tax ID # and if registered with the state your state file #.

If you have questions about registering, please do not hesitate to contact me. Registering is simple but if you'd prefer you can request that I complete your registration for you. Please contact me by phone or email if you have questions.